Thursday, September 7, 2023

September 7 - Leonard Rosenman (The Musical Birthday Series, 5th Annual Cycle)

Previous posts for September 7th are here: Buddy Holly; Gloria Gaynor (2019), François-André Danican Philidor; Arthur Ferrante (2020), Heinrich Stölzel; Madeleine Dring (2021), and Michael Feinstein (2022)

++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Leonard Rosenman (7 September 1924 – 4 March 2008) was an American film, television and concert composer whose film scores include East of Eden, Rebel without a Cause, and Beneath the Planet of the Apes.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And He Scores!


He composed the score for Vincente Minnelli’s The Cobweb (1955), regarded as the first major Hollywood score to be written in the twelve-tone technique.  – Wikipedia 


Rosenman remarked, "The year I did my first film, I had five major performances in New York." But "the minute I did my first film, I didn't have a performance there for 20 years. They would never say, 'I don't like them'. They wouldn't look at them." – Wikipedia

Leonard Rosenman wrote a score

That did a feat not done before, --

He wrote it in the twelve-tone system

And even so no one dismissed him!


And though it went against the grain

His music in a modern vein,

Sometimes greeted with suspicion,

Won him ample recognition.


And yet he rued with bitter gall

That writing for the concert hall

Resulted in no play at all.

 

 

If you enjoy these posts, please help me, and consider sharing.  [Also, please visit my other blog: Alternate Takes: Great Art Repurposed.] 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment