Saturday, June 24, 2023

June 24 - Hugo Distler (The Musical Birthday Series, 5th Annual Cycle)

Previous posts for June 24th are found here: Terry Riley (2019), Harry Partch (2019), Hugo Distler; Terry Riley; Harry Partch (2021), and Harry Partch (2022)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Hugo Distler (24 June 1908 – 1 November 1942) was a German organist, choral conductor, teacher and composer.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Distler Distilled in Two Limericks


(1)

If someone should say to me, “Let’s

Do a concert of Distler’s motets.”

The answer from me,

In my RSVP,

Would politely extend my regrets.


(2)

Herr Distler defensively spoke

On his ties with the neo-Baroque,

“My use of the norms

Of pre-Classical forms

Is not a Stravinskian joke.”

 

 

 

If you enjoy these posts, please help me, and consider sharing.  [Also, please visit my other blog: Alternate Takes: Great Art Repurposed.] 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment