Thursday, March 17, 2022

March 17 - Nat King Cole (The Musical Birthday Series, 4th Annual Cycle)

Previous postings for March 17th may be found here: Josef Rheinberger (2019), Michael Finnissy (2020), and Élisabeth-Claude Jacquet de La Guerre (2021)

 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Nat King Cole (17 March 1919 – 15 February 1965) was an American singer, jazz pianist, and actor.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Split Personality

 

"I started out to become a jazz pianist; in the meantime I started singing and I sang the way I felt and that's just the way it came out." -- Nat King Cole, qtd in Wikipedia

 

Earlier on, Cole's shift to traditional pop led some jazz critics and fans to accuse him of selling out. -- Wikipedia 


Did the Pianist Nat King Cole

Think that singing rudely stole

   The spotlight from his playing?


Or was he fine, since on the whole,

That when the Singer took control

   His gigs were better paying?

 

 

If you enjoy these posts, please help me, and consider sharing.  [Also, please visit my other blog: Alternate Takes: Great Art Repurposed.]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment